March 2013 Group Mentoring
Recorded March 13, 2013
- Transition into Law Practice Program (TILPP), State Bar of Georgia
- This event is for newly admitted lawyers in Georgia who are enrolled in the Group Mentoring component of the Transition into Law Practice Program (TILPP). Do NOT register for this event if you are not enrolled in TILPP, or if you are a prosecutor, solicitor, public defender, or if you are enrolled in Inside Mentoring or Outside Mentoring.
- TILPP consists of two (2) components: a continuing legal education (“CLE”) component and a mentoring component. Successful completion of TILPP satisfies your mandatory CLE requirements for the calendar year of your admission and the next succeeding calendar year. (State Bar Rule 8-104 (B)(1)).
- Attendance at this Group Mentoring event satisfies a portion of the Mentoring component requirement; it does not satisfy any portion of the CLE component requirement—No CLE credit is given for this event.
Components of the Transition into Law Practice Program:
- CLE Component (Regulation (1)(C)(i) to State Bar Rule 8-104 (B)): You must attend mandatory CLE activities. The exact activities depend upon your practice setting. Prosecutors or Solicitors should contact their supervisor or the Prosecuting Attorneys Council of Georgia for applicable CLE activities; Public Defenders should contact their supervisor or the Georgia Public Defender Standards Council for applicable CLE activities. All other Program participants (i.e.—Beginning Lawyers who are neither prosecutors nor public defenders) must complete a minimum of twelve (12) CLE hours, consisting of the Beginning Lawyers Program (6 CLE hours of credit) and six (6) additional CLE hours of their choice. You will receive information on dates and times of the Beginning Lawyers Program at the address you have on file with the State Bar of Georgia.
- Mentoring Component (Regulation (1)(C)(ii) to State Bar Rule 8-104 (B)): For Group Mentoring participants: each Group Mentoring event generally consists of 3 hours, and you must complete two (2) Group Mentoring events during your assigned Mentoring Period. Generally, those Beginning Lawyers who are admitted after passing the February Bar Examination have their mentoring period tracked beginning the start of the next FISCAL YEAR (July 1–June 30); and, those Beginning Lawyers who are admitted after passing the July Bar Examination have their mentoring period tracked beginning the next CALENDAR YEAR (January 1–December 31). You will receive information on dates and times of Group Mentoring events at the address you have on file with the State Bar of Georgia.
- Tangela S. King, Director, Transition Into Law Practice Program, State Bar of Georgia, Atlanta
Welcome and program overview
Tangela S. King
malpractice insurance and preventing malpractice claims
(Model Mentoring Plan C & D
- Ed Alden, Alden & Associates, Inc., Atlanta
- Douglas V. Chandler, Chandler Law LLC, Atlanta
(Model Mentoring Plan A, D & I)
Laura E. Woodson, Scroggins & Williamson, P.C., Atlanta
how to deal with domestic violence issues in your practice
(Model Mentoring Plan A & D)
Vicky Ogawa Kimbrell, Georgia Legal Services Program, Atlanta